Forside  English SU as a foreign citizen

SU as a foreign citizen 

If you are not a Danish citizen, you must fulfil some special conditions to be placed on an equal footing with Danish citizens and receive state education support (SU)

Normally you must be a citizen of Denmark to be entitled to SU. If you are a foreign citizen, however, you have the possibility of applying for equal status with Danish citizens and thus being approved to receive SU.

Danish or EU rules

There are in general two sets of rules according to which you can apply for equal status: Danish rules or the rules of EU law. Depending on the rules under which you apply, there are different conditions that you must fulfil.

Equal status according to Danish rulesEqual status according to EU law


Applying for equal status for the first time

When you know the conditions for the specific rules and you are ready to apply, you can read more about how to apply for the first time.

Enquiries regarding equal status

If you have questions regarding equal status with Danish citizens, and you cannot find an answer online, you can enquire about it via phone or Digital Post.


EU/EEA citizen

If you are an EU/EEA citizen and applying for SU for a full education programme in an EU Member State or EEA country, it is important for you to be aware of the special rules regarding connection to Denmark.

Several rules

Equal status according to several rules
You are allowed to apply for equal status according to several rules simultaneously. However, you only need to fulfil the conditions of one of the rules in order to be granted equal status with Danish citizens. You should note that there are different rules for how equal status can be revoked, depending on whether you are granted equal status under Danish rules or the rules of EU law.