Print Læs højt
Søg Menu

If you are a foreign citizen, you must fulfil specific conditions in order to be granted equal status with Danish citizens and receive state educational grant (SU)

Danish rules or EU law

There are, in general, two sets of rules according to which you can apply for equal status: Danish rules or the rules of EU law. Depending on the rules under which you apply, there are different conditions that you must fulfil:

How to apply for the first time

When you know the conditions for the specific rules and you are ready to apply, you can read more about how to apply for the first time.

When you have been granted the equal right status

Read here, what you should do if your conditions changes as an EU-worker or self-employed person 

Read here about how the Agency will monitor you, if you are a worker or a self-employed person under EU law

Enquiries regarding equal status

If you have questions regarding equal status with Danish citizens, and you cannot find an answer online, you can enquire about it via phone or Digital Post.

If you want to study abroad, please find more information here: Studies abroad.

How to complain

If you disagree with a decision made by the Agency regarding your SU, you can file a complaint. Please send your complaint to the Agency via Digital Post on and write "Klage til Ankenævnet for Statens Uddannelsesstøtteordninger" in the subject field. We must have received the complaint no later than four weeks from the day you received our decision.

Decisions made by Ankenævnet for Statens Uddannelsesstøtteordninger (the Danish Educational Support Appeal Board) are final and cannot be appealed. Read more about the Appeal Board at their website

COVID-19 and SU

If you have enquiries regarding your equal status with Danish citizens, please find information here or at COVID-19 (Coronavirus) and SU.